THE CHEROKEE COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
GIVE A KID A CHANCE – CHEROKEE, INC.
This agreement entered into on this 16th day of March, 2017 by and between The Cherokee County Board of Education, hereinafter referred to as the “School Board”
Give a Kid a Chance – Cherokee Inc.
WHEREAS, the School Board’s mission is to educate the emerging generation through learning environments designed to increase the performance of all students; and,
WHEREAS, one of the School Board’s Major System Priorities is to increase parental and community involvement through public engagement policies and practices that treat parents, businesses, community-based organizations and agencies, local institutions of higher learning and other public entities as true partners in the educational process; and,
WHEREAS, Give a Kid a Chance is sponsored by members of Cherokee County’s Community of Faith; and,
WHEREAS, Give a Kid a Chance provides Cherokee County’s children with supplies needed to begin a new school year; and,
Now therefore in consideration of the covenants and conditions set forth herein the parties agree as follows:
The parties agree that the foregoing recitals are true and correct and incorporated herein by reference:
The School Board will:
1. Promote Give a Kid a Chance programs and events through existing communication channels, as permitted by School Board policy.
2. Continue to provide use, as space permits, of two mobile classrooms at ACE Academy for storage at no charge.
3. Provide the use of and access to CCSD’s teacher resource center.
4. Allow applications to be made available to school counselors and other appropriate parties and copies to be made for eligible children.
5. If needed, allow the event to be held in a CCSD facility with special consideration to be given to waiving applicable fees.
6. Explore/pursue joint grant opportunities in both parties’ best interest.
Give a Kid a Chance will:
1. Contact the school counselors or other appropriate personnel to explain the purpose of the Give a Kid a Chance event and then electronically distribute application forms and information to those individuals.
2. Gather completed applications from schools to be used for registration for the event and contact the families with event information once registration is processed.
3. Conduct a Give a Kid a Chance event prior to the beginning of school so that Cherokee County school-age children who are registered to attend school will receive backpacks filled with school supplies, socks, underwear and like-new clothing appropriate for school. Children will also have the opportunity for vision, hearing and dental health screenings as well as other services that might include haircuts. All attending children can select books and stuffed animals.
4. Distribute classroom supplies (glue sticks, pencils, etc.) to Pre-K classes prior to the start of the new school year.
5. Explore/pursue joint grant opportunities in both parties’ best interest.
6. Accept all children/interested participants for participation within its programs without regard to their gender, race, political affiliation, age, national origin or handicapping condition or any other discrimination recognized and prohibited by State or Federal Law. Children/participants with handicaps must be provided all necessary levels of supervision and must be included within the activities of the partnering organization. As a result of this partnership agreement, Give a Kid a Chance must adhere to all local, State or Federal laws regarding education.
7. Agree to hold harmless and indemnify the School Board against any claims, demands, losses or damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees, which may arise as a result of this contract.
The term of this contract is March 16, 2017 through March 16, 2018. This contract shall automatically renew for additional terms not to exceed five years unless either party notifies the other at least 60 days prior to renewal date.
This contract may be terminated by either party upon thirty (30) days written notice to the other party with or without cause. All notice of this contract shall be given to the Superintendent of Cherokee County Schools at 110 Academy Street, Canton, Georgia 30114, and to Give a Kid a Chance at PO Box 471, Holly Springs, Georgia 30114.