THE CHEROKEE COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
MARCH OF DIMES
This agreement entered into this 5th day of December, 2013 by and between
The Cherokee County Board of Education, hereinafter referred to as the “School Board”
March of Dimes
WHEREAS, the School Board’s mission is to enable all students to become
contributing citizens who can communicate effectively, gather and use information, make responsible decisions, utilize technology effectively and adapt to the challenges of the future, and;
WHEREAS, one of the School Board’s Major System Priorities is to increase parental and community involvement through public engagement policies and practices that treat parents, business, community-based organizations and agencies, local institutions of higher learning and other public entities as true partners in the educational process, and;
WHEREAS, The mission of the March of Dimes is to improve the health of
babies by preventing birth defects and infant mortality and premature birth; and it is an organization people can trust to help all parents have healthy babies, and;
WHEREAS, Cherokee County schools participated in March of Dimes March for Babies program during the past several school years, a program that helps March of Dimes mission by providing funds for research and educating school children about the importance of healthy babies, what birth defects are and to promote social responsibility, and;
WHEREAS, March of Dimes March for Babies Programs gives
students an opportunity to serve their community by volunteering, safely walk with friends and parents, learn about the March of Dimes and the connection to US and Georgia History, and learn their efforts can make a difference in the health of babies, and;
Now, therefore in consideration of the covenants and conditions set forth herein the parties agree to as follows.
The parties agree that the foregoing recitals are true and correct and incorporated herein by reference
The School Board will:
- Encourage all Cherokee County schools to participate in the March of Dimes March for Babies program.
- Provide a school coordinator at each participating school site to work in
conjunction with March of Dimes employees to implement aforementioned
programs. Note: The school-site Coordinator’s role will include organizing and promoting one or more programs from the following: Walkmania, Blue Jeans for Babies, Hat Days, Coin Wars, Online Fundraising, or another fundraiser the school would like to implement. The coordinator will also encourage participation by distributing letters and supplies as needed to students prior to events; attend the March of Dimes kickoff annually, to be held in January or February; set an achievable school goal for the school fundraising effort; and coordinate a Walk Team to participate in the Annual March for Babies in Cherokee County held the last weekend of April.
- Encourage the FBLA or other school club advisor and a student from each school to attend the March of Dimes kickoff as mentioned above.
- Encourage school clubs, groups and or bands to perform at the March for Babies kickoff and Walk Day.
- Promote the annual March of Dimes t-shirt design contest among its schools.
- Promote March of Dimes programs and events through existing communication channels, as permitted by School Board policy.
- Allow a high school senior with an interest in media or healthy babies to choose the March of Dimes as a Senior Project opportunity by producing a video to be used in the schools to promote and educate about the March of Dimes.
March of Dimes will:
- Make a presentation annually to principals and follow up with each school as requested.
- Abide by the rules and regulations contained in the School Board’s
SOLICITATION BY STUDENTS Policy (JK3/KEBB), that prohibits students in grades eight or lower from participating in door-to-door sales.
- Deliver March for Babies supplies to participating school sites.
- Provide an in-service to coordinators, teachers and administrators on how to incorporate all areas of the curriculum to make the program a school-wide event.
- Send a March for Babies kickoff invitation to each school Coordinator as provided by the School Board. Email information pertaining to the March of Dimes to keep the schools informed about the activities and news of the organization.
- Provide all materials and incentives to ensure a successful event.
- Provide an on-call representative to assist with any questions or concerns.
- March of Dimes will pick up money, count money, will calculate incentive totals for schools, and deliver incentives within four weeks after event.
- Recognize schools and outstanding efforts at the end of the year by providing a plaque or certificate for each school that participates.
- Accept all children/interested participants for participation within its programs without regard to their gender, race, political affiliation, age, national origin or handicapping condition. Children/participants with handicaps must be provided all necessary levels of supervision and must be included within the activities of the partnering organization. As a result of this partnership agreement, March of Dimes must adhere to all local, State or Federal laws regarding education.
The term of this contract is December 5, 2013-December 4, 2014. This contract shall automatically renew for additional terms not to exceed five years unless either party notifies the other at least 60 days prior to renewal date.
This contract may be terminated by either party upon thirty (30) days written
notice to the other party with or without cause. All notice of this contract shall be given to the Superintendent of Cherokee County Schools at 110 Academy Street, Canton Georgia 30114, and to March of Dimes, Michele Beal NW Division, 1775 The Exchange, Suite 515, Atlanta, GA 30339.