THE CHEROKEE COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
YOUNG HARRIS COLLEGE
This agreement entered into on this 21st day of May, 2020 by and between the Cherokee County Board of Education, hereinafter referred to as the “School Board” and the Administration of Young Harris College hereinafter referred to as the “College.”
WHEREAS, the School District’s mission is to educate the emerging generation through learning environments designed to increase the performance of all students; and,
WHEREAS, one of the School District’s Priority Areas is Family, Partner and Community Engagement; and,
WHEREAS, the College’s mission, among other College/Departmental goals, is to support students in achieving their personal and educational goals; to offer accessible, professional, and high-quality services in the areas of: 1) preservice teacher observations, 2) preservice teacher instruction (e.g., YHC courses components, practica, seminars, mentoring and supervision) and 3) preservice teacher clinical experiences (student teaching) and,
WHEREAS, the College embraces the commitment of developing professionals who, as collaborative assistants, engaged in local, national, and international endeavors in teaching, research, and service, become subject matter experts capable of facilitating high levels of learning within diverse student populations;
Now therefore in consideration of the covenants and conditions set forth herein the parties agree as follows:
The purpose of this Agreement is to guide and direct the parties respecting their affiliation and working relationship, inclusive of anticipated future arrangements and agreements in furtherance thereof, to provide high quality applied learning experiences for students in the College’s Department of Education, while at the same time enhancing the resources available to the School District.
Neither party intends for this Agreement to alter in any way their respective legal rights or their legal obligations to one another, to the students and faculty assigned to the School District, or as to any third party.
1. The courses of instruction (i.e., field and clinical experiences) to be provided will be of such content, and cover such periods of time as may from time to time be mutually agreed upon by the University and the School District. The starting and ending date for each program shall be agreed upon at least one month before the program commences.
2. The number of students designated for participation in a preservice teacher learning experience will be mutually determined by agreement of the parties, and may at any time be altered by mutual agreement. All student participants must be mutually acceptable to both parties and either party may withdraw any student from a program based upon perceived lack of competency on the part of the student (as determined by either party hereto), the student's failure to comply with the rules and policies of the School District or the College, or, for any other reason where either party reasonably believes that it is not in the best interest of the program for the student to continue.
3. There shall be no discrimination on the basis of race, national origin, religion, creed, sex, age or disability in either the selection of students for participation in the program, or as to any aspect of the preservice experience; provided however, that with respect to disability, the disability must not be such as would, even with reasonable accommodation, in and of itself, preclude the student's effective participation in the program. Furthermore, to the extent allowable by law, both parties must accept all children/interested participants for participation within its programs (as contemplated herein) without regard to their gender, race, age, national origin or handicapping condition or any other discrimination recognized and prohibited by State or Federal Law. In consideration of the above, children/participants with handicaps must be provided all necessary levels of supervision and must be included within the activities of the parties. As a result of this Agreement, both parties must adhere to all local, State or Federal laws regarding education.
The School District will:
1. Retain responsibility for the services it provides, and will maintain administrative and professional supervision of students insofar as their presence and program assignments affect the operation of the School District and its services.
2. Provide adequate learning opportunities for participating students in accordance with the objectives developed through cooperative planning by the College's departmental faculty and the School District's staff.
3. Use efforts to make conference space and classrooms available as may be necessary for teaching and planning activities in connection with preservice teacher learning experiences.
4. Upon request, allow staff to assist the College in the evaluation of the learning and performance of participating students.
5. Provide for the orientation of both College faculty and participating students as to the facilities, philosophies, rules, regulations and policies of the School District.
6. Cooperate in any joint grant opportunities discussed between the parties.
The College will:
1. Use its best efforts to see that students selected for participation in the preservice teaching experience are prepared for effective participation in the field and clinical phases of their overall education. The College will retain ultimate responsibility for the education of its students.
2. Prior to the commencement of an preservice teaching experience, upon request and with proper authorization, provide responsible School District officials with such student records as will adequately disclose the prior education and related experiences of prospective student participants. Only those students who have satisfactorily completed the prerequisite didactic portion of their curriculum will be selected for participation in a program.
3. Encourage student compliance with the School District's rules, regulations and procedures, and use its best efforts to keep students informed as to the same and any changes therein. Specifically, the College will keep each participating student apprised of his or her responsibility:
(a) To follow the administrative policies, standards and practices of the School District when the student is in a facility governed by the School District.
(b) To report to the School District on time and to follow all established regulations during the regularly scheduled operating hours of the School District.
(c) To conform to the standards and practices established by the College while training at the School District.
4. Cooperate in any joint grant opportunities discussed between the parties.
5. College shall inform students of District's requirement that prior to commencement of an preservice teaching experience they must complete a criminal background check, and provide clean results indicating no crimes of moral turpitude. Students shall be responsible for completing, and paying for, such background checks as may be required by the School District. The School District reserves the right to reject any participant that does not meet its minimum background requirements.
The School District and the College will be mutually responsible for the following:
(1) The parties will work together to maintain an environment of quality preservice teaching experiences. At the instance of either party a meeting or conference will be promptly held between College and School District representatives to resolve any problems or develop any improvements in the operation of the contemplated preservice teaching experiences.
(2) Unless sooner canceled as provided below, the term of this affiliation for preservice teaching experiences shall be three years, commencing on May 21, 2020 and ending on May 21, 2021. This contract may be renewed for additional terms not to exceed five years by mutual written agreement of the parties. This agreement may be amended at any time by mutual written agreement of the parties. It may also be canceled at any time by either party upon not less than 30 days written notice in advance of the next experience.
All notice of this contract shall be given to the Superintendent of Cherokee County Schools at PO Box 769, Canton, Georgia 30169, and to the President of Young Harris College, P.O. Box 68, Young Harris, GA 30582.