The mission of the Cherokee County School District’s After School Program (ASP) is to strive to establish a safe and caring environment for students that allows opportunity for individual and social growth with a minimum of formal structure. Children engage in activities that encourage creativity, social relationships, appropriate behavior and a positive self-image.
GOAL OF PROGRAM
The After School Program of Cherokee County School District is designed to provide:
• After school care for students who would otherwise be home alone in an unsupervised situation
• After school care for students whose parents work and need the assurance that their children are in a caring, safe environment
• After school enrichment opportunities for elementary-age students.
ASP Parent Information
Welcome to our school’s After-School Program! In order to ensure each family has a working description of this year’s ASP program, all parents/legal guardians with students participating in ASP are required to read and sign for the ASP Parent Information Letter.
ASP Parent/Legal Guardian Letter 2018-19 (ENGLISH)
ASP Parent/Legal Guardian Letter 2018-19 (SPANISH)
ASP Registration Form 2018-19 (ENGLISH)
ASP Registration Form 2018-19 (SPANISH)
- Any elementary-aged student attending a CCSD elementary school is eligible to attend that school’s ASP. This excludes half-day or special education pre-school students and all (full day) Georgia Lottery PreK students.
- Parents or legal guardians must register their child or children by completing a registration form and signing the notification letter (linked above). If there are any address/contact information changes, the parent or legal guardian of the participating student must notify ASP staff of changes.
- Students must be enrolled in ASP in order to participate in classes/activities offered by the Service Providers (outside vendors).
- Credits for non-participation will be issued only if one of the following exceptions applies:
- The student is absent due to illness on a day pre-designated as an ASP day for the student
- The student is checked out by 11:00 a.m. due to illness
- The student experiences the death of an immediate family member (parent, sibling, grandparent) AND the ASP Bookkeeper is notified by 10:00 a.m. on the day the child is absent; or,
- School is closed/dismissed early due to inclement weather
- Any student checked out of school early may not return to the school’s campus that day for the purpose of attending ASP.
- ASP begins at the time of the school’s dismissal and extends until 6:00 PM.
Fee Schedules, Payments and Refunds
- ASP is a PREPAID program.
- Schools may require parents to pre-designate and pre-pay for ASP participation by the week (i.e., “everyday”, “M/W/F”). This is done for the safety of students by pre-determining staff coverage needs, as well as ensuring that students that should stay in ASP do not board the bus and go home to an unsupervised situation.
- ASP tuition is $10 per day and must be paid by the time/weekday designated by the school. Money or notification of participation received after the designated time/weekday will cause the student to be considered as a drop-in and parents will be charged $14 for that day.
- Checks must be made payable to the school for the exact amount and include only ASP payments. Any money over the exact amount will be credited to the student’s ASP account.
- Breakfast and/or lunch money must not be included with the ASP payment.
- Parents will be notified of any returned checks. Permission will be obtained from the parent for re-depositing the returned check. If a check is returned for non-sufficient funds a second time, future payment will be on a “cash-only” basis.
- Balances remaining in ASP accounts at the end of the school year will be rolled over to the next school year if the student will remain at the current school. If the student is transferring, being promoted to middle school or will no longer participate in ASP, the parent must request a refund. A refund check will be mailed to the parent during post planning.
- For purposes of personal income tax credits, parents are responsible for retaining all receipts.
- Only persons approved and designated on the registration form will be allowed to sign out/pick up your child—this is for the protection of your child! PHOTO IDENTIFICATION WILL BE REQUIRED.
- Each/every student not picked up by 6:00 p.m. (according to the school’s clock) will be charged a late fee of $10 for each 15-minute portion/increment (i.e., 6:01-6:15 p.m. = $10. 6:16-6:30 p.m. = $20).
- Failure to pick up a child by 7:00 p.m. will be considered an emergency situation, and a call will be placed by ASP staff to the CCSD School Police (or 911) on behalf of the student. Students may be withdrawn from the program upon a third late pick-up. All parents/guardians are encouraged to have an emergency backup person in order to avoid these types of situations.
- To ensure the safety and security of all students in ASP, a program safety plan is reviewed and utilized on an annual basis. ASP coordinators are authorized to contact the appropriate law enforcement agency should an emergency occur which threatens the welfare of a child.
- ASP is a support program and your child is expected to behave properly.
- Students must comply with the discipline policies laid out in the CCSD Student/Parent Handbook & Discipline Code and the individual school discipline policy.
- Inappropriate/disruptive behavior may result in suspension or withdrawal of your child.
- Students will be suspended or withdrawn from the ASP for the following reasons: (a) Excessive Late Pick-up (3 times), (b) Discipline Problems (3 times), and (c) Nonpayment of Fees and/or Late Pick up Fees.
- If school is closed or dismisses early due to inclement weather (or any other reason), the school’s ASP will also close for the day. In such a case, the school will follow the instructions given to your child’s homeroom teacher on his/her Inclement Weather form. ASP personnel will be responsible for any further parent contacts for the pick-up of ASP students. Parents should also note that designated ASP personnel will remain at the school during such a closing to insure all students have been picked up by the parent, guardian, or authorized designee.