School Board Welcomes 2017-18 Student Advisor, Student Delegates
The Cherokee County School District has named the 2017-18 Student Advisor and Student Delegates to the School Board.
The School Board has included a Student Advisor position on its board since 1999, and for the past seven years, a Student Delegate from each high school also has been selected. These students serve for one year to give input and feedback to the School Board; the advisor role is rotated among the county’s high schools.
“Our mission is ‘Educating the Emerging Generation,’ and we best serve our students at a governance and policy-making level by engaging with them and gaining their perspective,” Superintendent of Schools Dr. Brian V. Hightower said. “We appreciate our Advisor and Delegates’ service and look forward to working with this outstanding group of young leaders. We know they will be outstanding representatives for their schools and inspire our School Board and me to continue striving for excellence for them and all of our students.”
This year's Student Advisor is Ashlee Floyd of Cherokee HS. The Student Delegates are: Arely Gonzalez-Labra of ACE Academy; Bryce Goodwyn of Creekview HS; Katie Bishop of Etowah HS; Christian Fanning of River Ridge HS; Theodore “Teddy” Campbell of Sequoyah HS; and Katherine Relick of Woodstock HS.
The students began their service at the School Board meeting on August 17.
Students selected to serve as Student Advisor or Student Delegates share common traits: they excel in the classroom, often ranking in the top 10 percent of their class and earning titles like valedictorian; they are involved in their school, often participating in numerous clubs, sports and organizations; and they seek out opportunities to serve and lead.
Cherokee HS, Ashlee Floyd
• Recipient of: Academic Letter, Superintendent’s Key Scholar Award, UGA Honors, Mock Trial Team Region Champion
• Member of: Beta Club, Mock Trial Team, National Honor Society, Academic Bowl and Alpha Gamma Council
• Volunteers for: Northside Hospital and River Green Peanut Butter Drive
ACE Academy, Arely Gonzalez-Labra
• Recipient of: Excellence in American Literature, Excellence in Math and Diamond Dolls
• Member of: ACE Academy Student Council, Book Club, Special Education Speech Class Assistants, DECA Club, National Novel Writing, Strikers Allstar Cheerleading and Passion CrossFit Training
• Volunteers for: Revolution Youth Group
Creekview HS, Bryce Goodwyn
• Recipient of: Academic Letter, Lamp of Knowledge, Scholar Athlete, Superintendent’s Key Scholar Award, Georgia Certificate of Merit, DAR U.S. History Award, Optimist Club Student of the Year, 1st Team All-Region in Soccer, 2nd Team All-Region in Soccer and Soccer Letter (all four years)
• Member of: Varsity Soccer (Varsity Captain), National Honor Society, Model UN, Habitat for Humanity and National Spanish Honor Society
• Volunteers for: Gardening Project with Creekview HS Varsity Soccer Program
Etowah HS, Katie Bishop
• Recipient of: Academic Letter, Superintendent’s Key Scholar Award, Varsity Lacrosse Letter for two years and Community Service Letter for two years
• Member of: Student Government (Student Body President), Beta Club, National Honor Society, Math Team and Model UN
• Volunteers for: Vacation Bible School with her church, Shop with an Eagle and other various activities through SGA (150+ hours of community service)
River Ridge HS, Christian Fanning
• Recipient of: Microsoft Power Point Certification and Academic Letter
• Member of: Student Advisory Board (Senior Class President), Chick-fil-A Leadership Academy Program, Crusading Knights Community Service Club and Junior Varsity Cross Country (2015-16)
• Volunteers for: Woodstock City Church, Co-leader for River Ridge Challenger Basketball Program and with Crusading Knights Service Club
Sequoyah HS, Theodore “Teddy” Campbell
• Recipient of: AP Scholar Award from College Board, Principal’s Academic Achievement Award for PSAT, Georgia Certificate of Merit, SHS Award for highest GPA (three years in a row) and Triple Letter in Varsity Tennis
• Member of: Varsity Tennis, Beta Club, National Honor Society, Student Government (Past Class President) and Habitat for Humanity
• Volunteers for: Habitat for Humanity and local Tennis Academy
Woodstock HS, Katherine Relick
• Recipient of: Math Award, Superintendent’s Key Scholar, UGA Merit Award and Teen Leadership Program Completion Participant
• Member of: National Honor Society, Beta Club, Student Government (Vice-president), Women in Science & Engineering, Science National Honors Society, Math National Honors Society and Giving Children Hope Club (President)
• Volunteers for: Anna Crawford Children’s Center Student Advisor, SPLASH (a volunteer group that teaches children with special needs to swim), Cherokee Family Violence Center and as a Sunday School teacher with her church