Skip To Main Content

Logo Image

Logo Title

JBC(4) – Transferring Credits

  • Document Link: JBC(4) – Transferring Credits
  • Title: Transferring Credits
  • Section: J. Students
  • Adoption Date: 07/19/2018
  • Ref Code: O.C.G.A. 20-02-2112, O.C.G.A. 20-02-0319.1, O.C.G.A. 20-03-0519, O.C.G.A. 20-02-2161, O.C.G.A. 20-02-0240, Rule 160-5-1-.15

Descriptor Code: JBC(4)
Transferring Credits


To assist transfer students in progression toward graduation, Cherokee County Board of Education’s secondary schools will accept student course credit from other accredited educational agencies in a manner consistent with State Board Rule JBC(4). Further, the School District will utilize administrative protocols to validate credit for courses taken at non-accredited schools, home study programs and non-traditional educational centers. The principal is responsible for validating credit for courses taken at a non-accredited school, home study program, or non-traditional educational center. The principal may require and review evidence of work, materials, course description guide, and standards used in the instructional program.

The procedures for validation will include at least one of the following: 

  • Probationary placement based on records of prior school(s), home study programs, and/or non-traditional educational centers and satisfactory performance of the student for one or more grading periods. 
  • Tests and acceptable scores. These tests may be standardized or locally developed and should focus on group placement, subject area and/or grade level and state and local standards for the course. For courses that require an End of Course (EOC) test the student must validate the course by earning a passing score on the appropriate EOC test; in which case, the equivalent grade score on the EOC test will be posted to the transcript. Students will only be allowed one attempt to validate credit for a course through testing. 
  • A student who transfers to a Cherokee County high school from a school which awards credit on the quarter system will be given credit for completed work. For each 15 quarter hours the student has earned, he/she will be given one Carnegie unit credit (5 quarter hours = 1/3 Carnegie unit). A student who transfers from a school which awards credit on some other basis will be given comparable credit. 
  • If a transcript from another school shows letter grades, accompanied by a numerical scale, each letter grade is transferred as the midpoint of the scale. (Exception – F will be converted to 60). However, if no numerical scale is on the transcript, the midpoint\of the Cherokee County scale is used. 
  • If a transcript shows the awarding of credit for a grade below 70 (the lowest passing grade at Cherokee County high schools), the grade is recorded as 70 and credit is awarded. The same procedure would apply for grades transferred while a semester is in progress. 
  • Transfer credit used for Valedictorian or Salutatorian will be accepted only from an Accredited School in accordance with this Policy and as noted in Class Rankings Policy (IHC). 

ADOPTED: August 2, 2001         REVISED: July 19, 2018