MFB – Student Teaching and Internships
Descriptor Code: MFB
Student Teaching and Internships
The Cherokee County Board of Education authorizes contractual arrangements to be made for the acceptance for training of student interns from accredited colleges and universities to the extent that the training of these student interns will both enhance educational opportunities of the classroom students as well as provide a training opportunity for the student intern. The Superintendent will establish administrative guidelines and rules necessary to provide for implementation of this policy.
ADOPTED: August 2, 2001 REVISED: July 16, 2020
CCSD Administrative Guidelines Regarding Student Teaching and Internships
Pursuant to the School Board’s Student Teaching and Internships Policy (MFB), these administrative guidelines are to be utilized by CCSD staff in policy application:
I. Candidates Seeking Placement
External (non-employee) candidates seeking placement in CCSD for student teacher, field observations, internships and practicum experiences should request that their college or university contact Lindsay Bowley, Recruitment Coordinator in the Office of Human Resources at Lindsay.Bowley@CherokeeK12.net to determine if external placement applications are being accepted.
II. Request for Placement
The Office of Human Resources must receive an emailed request from the college or university detailing the following:
• Candidate Name
• Candidate Email
• Candidate PSC Number (if applicable)
• Degree Program
• Start/End Date of Placement
• Required Hours
• Mentor Requirements
• Any Other Requirements
Candidates who are interested in being considered for placement in CCSD must complete a Request for Placement Application. Directions on how to complete this application will be sent to the requesting college/university field placement coordinator.
For priority consideration for placement in an educational field experience, completed forms with required documentation should be submitted to the Office of Human Resources by the following dates:
• Fall Placement - April 15th
• Spring Placement - November 15th
A Criminal History Check must be completed prior to commencement of any student teaching, field observation, internship or practicum experience. The Office of Human Resources reserves the right to reject the request of any candidate who does not meet CCSD minimum criminal history requirements. The Criminal History Check consent form is included in the candidate’s Request for Placement Application.
III. Placement Guidelines
External candidates enrolled in a college/university with a current CCSD Partnership Agreement referencing student teacher, field observations, internships and practicum experiences will receive consideration for placement.
External candidates from other colleges or universities may be considered for placement contingent upon prior approval by the Office of Human Resources. Considerations for approval may include availability, designation as a critical shortage area, or other need as determined by the Office of Human Resources. Prior to placement, the college/university must enter into a CCSD Memorandum of Understanding Agreement.
CCSD currently has active partnerships with the following colleges and universities:
- American Public University System
- Iowa State University
- Barry University
- Kennesaw State University
- Berry College
- Liberty University
- Blue Ridge Area Health (AHEC)
- Life University
- Brenau University
- Mercer University
- Capella University
- Piedmont College
- Chattahoochee Technical College
- Reinhardt University
- Dalton State College
- University of Georgia
- Eastern Michigan University
- University of North Florida
- Emory University
- University of North Georgia
- Florida Gulf Coast University
- University of Phoenix
- Georgia College and State University
- University of Tennessee (Martin)
- Georgia Highland College
- University of West Georgia
- Georgia Southern University
- Valdosta State University
- Georgia State University
- Walden University
- Georgia Department of Public Health
- Western Governors University
- Grand Canyon University
- Young Harris College
V. Assignment of a Cooperating Teacher or Mentor
- The Office of Human Resources will work with the appropriate college/university designated field placement coordinator to assign approved candidates a Cooperating Teacher or Mentor.
- Candidates will not be placed at a location where a family member works or attends.
- The recommendation and approval process and assignment of a Cooperating Teacher or Support Staff Mentor is required prior to approval of a candidate’s placement.
- Confirmation of placement will be sent to the college/university field placement coordinator, school administrative designee, and Cooperating Teacher or Mentor by the Office of Human Resources.