THE CHEROKEE COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
CHEROKEE COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
This agreement entered into on this 15th day of February, 2018, by and between
The Cherokee County Board of Education, hereinafter referred to as the “School Board,”
The Cherokee County Historical Society, hereinafter referred to as “CCHS,”
WHEREAS, the School Board’s mission is to enable all students to become contributing citizens who can communicate effectively, gather and use information, make responsible decisions, utilize technology effectively and adapt to the challenges of the future; and,
WHEREAS, one of the School Board’s Major System Priorities is to increase parental and community involvement through public engagement policies and practices that treat parents, businesses, community–based organizations and agencies, local institutions of higher learning and other public entities as true partners in the educational process; and,
WHEREAS, the CCHS’ mission is dedicated to historic preservation and education; and,
WHEREAS, the CCHS desires to enhance and expand efforts to achieve its mission of preserving and educating by acting as a community partner with the School Board.
Now therefore in consideration of the covenants and conditions set forth herein the parties agree as follows:
The parties agree that the foregoing recitals are true and correct and incorporated herein by reference.
The School Board will:
1. Disseminate CCHS information/student opportunities through existing communication channels, as permitted by School Board policy. Permit use of school mail for two mailings: one in May and one in August.
2. Communicate with CCHS relative to future construction/renovation projects.
3. Facilitate implementation of educational programs to promote local history (using CCHS books, brochures, videos and publications, as provided).
4. Promote field trip opportunities for history students/classes throughout the County (Crescent Farm Rock Barn, Cherokee County History Museum).
5. Will encourage faculty and students to use the CCHS’s website located at www.rockbarn.org.
6. Pursue joint grant opportunities in both parties’ best interests.
1. Provide the School Board with the opportunity to use the Exhibition Center and Conference/Special Events Facility at the Crescent Farm Rock Barn.
2. Provide presentations relative to local history to schools at the appropriate grade level via speakers at schools’ requests.
3. Provide the opportunity for field trips to CCHS locales. Students in Grades 3 through 5 will be permitted to tour the Cherokee County History Museum at no charge; planned educational tours and accompanying Instructional Guides will be offered.
4. Provide historical curriculum materials to the school system for dissemination to each of the appropriate grade levels including a teacher instructional guide for Cherokee County History Museum instruction.
5. Provide judges for the School System Science Fair, Young Authors Fair, Governors Honors, Speech Contests and other related functions.
6. Provide internship opportunities for students interested in historical issues.
7. Communicate with the School Systems’ Office of Support Services and Facilities/Construction Management and Department of Planning and Forecasting relative to future projects.
8. Pursue joint grant opportunities in both parties’ best interests.
9. Accept all children/interested participants for participation within its programs without regard to their gender, race, political affiliation, age, national origin or handicapping condition or any other discrimination recognized and prohibited by State or Federal Law. Children/participants with handicaps must be provided all necessary levels of supervision and must be included within the activities of the partnering organization. As a result of this partnership agreement, CCHS must adhere to all local, State or Federal laws regarding education.
The term of this contract is February 15, 2018 through February 15, 2019. This contract shall automatically renew for additional terms not to exceed five years unless either party notifies the other at least 60 days prior to renewal date.
This contract may be terminated by either party upon thirty (30) days written notice to the other party with or without cause. All notice of this contract shall be given to the Superintendent of Cherokee County Schools at PO Box 769, Canton, GA 30114 and to Stefanie Joyner, Cherokee County Historical Society, P.O. Box 1287, Canton, GA, 30114.