THE CHEROKEE COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY
This agreement entered into on this 18th day of July, 2019 by and between the Cherokee County Board of Education, hereinafter referred to as the “School Board” and Kennesaw State University.
WHEREAS, the School Board’s mission is to educate the emerging generation through learning environments designed to increase the performance of all students; and,
WHEREAS, one of the School Board’s Major System Priorities is to increase parental and community involvement through public engagement policies and practices that treat parents, businesses, community-based organizations and agencies, local institutions of higher learning and other public entities as true partners in the educational process; and,
WHEREAS, Kennesaw State University is committed to providing a challenging and facilitative collegial environment that fosters high-quality academic preparation, critical thinking, global and multicultural perspectives, effective communication and interpersonal skills, leadership development, social responsibility, and lifelong learning (KSU Catalog, 2002-03); and,
WHEREAS, the Professional Teacher Education Unit at Kennesaw State University embraces the commitment of developing educational professionals who, as collaborative partners, engaged in local, national, and international endeavors in teaching, research, and service, become subject matter experts capable of facilitating high levels of learning within diverse student populations; and,
WHEREAS, the Professional Teacher Education Unit at Kennesaw State University, is committed to building a community of learners, who in turn will enfold, nurture, and engender in the Pre-K through grade 12 students a “shared vision of intellectual and social possibilities” (Boyer, 1990) as they prepare to live productively within a global society.
Now therefore in consideration of the covenants and conditions set forth herein the parties agree as follows:
The parties agree that the foregoing recitals are true and correct and incorporated herein by reference:
The School Board will:
1. Actively recruit/hire Kennesaw State University (KSU) students who are interested in working for one of the school system’s Afterschool Programs and will provide an advertisement for distribution to KSU.
2. Continue placement of Kennesaw State University students for practicum observation and student teaching throughout the School System by the Office of Human Resources. Offer KSU students a screening interview opportunity following the conclusion of student’s field placement activities.
3. Offer school-site opportunities for Kennesaw State University students to fulfill site-based community service requirements.
4. Offer use of the Cherokee County Teacher Resource Center to KSU students.
5. Continue joint enrollment programs for Cherokee County students, as provided through previous agreements.
6. Waive facility use rental fees based on KSU’s request to use school system facilities.
7. Assign designees and provide administrative leave time to same to serve on the KSU Bagwell College of Education and Professional Teacher Education Unit Advisory Boards and/or planning committees for educational endeavors.
8. Pursue joint grant opportunities in both parties’ best interests.
9. Explore professional development opportunities in both parties’ best interests.
Kennesaw State University will:
1. Promote job openings in the Cherokee County School System to the KSU population (teaching positions as well as support positions)
2. Provide use of Kennesaw State University’s Teacher Education Resource Center to employees of the Cherokee County School System.
3. Continue joint enrollment programs for Cherokee County students, as provided through previous agreements.
4. Recommend judges for the School System Science Fair, Social Studies Fair, Young Authors Fair, Governor’s Honors, Speech Contests, and other related functions.
5. Continue to provide assistance and representatives to provide input in the areas of technology, curriculum development and textbook adoption.
6. Provide the opportunity for reciprocal use of facilities, (primarily located in Kennesaw Hall Education wing), as scheduled and available, for opportunities such as student testing and meetings.
7. Abide by the rules and regulations contained in the facility use contract at each school facility that KSU may use and those contained in the Community Use of System Facilities Policy (KG), and agree to hold harmless and indemnify the School Board against any claims, demands, losses, or damages including reasonable attorney’s fees, which may arise as a result of this agreement. All other fees associated with the use of facilities will apply (supervisory, custodial, security, etc.)
8. Work collaboratively with the School Board’s Office of Academic Standards, Professional Development and Grants Management on joint grant opportunities.
9. Work collaboratively on ongoing initiatives as described in the School Board’s Educational Accountability and School Improvement Policy. Examples include:
• A Curriculum Development and Instructional Management (CDIM) System, including an Electronic Planning Tool for use by classroom teachers that links critical content (what students need to know) with essential knowledge (what teachers need to know).
• A Data Warehouse which enables teachers and principals to access data that enables them to focus and report on students’ individual needs and competencies in a timely manner.
• A Clearinghouse (virtual) Information Center for use by classroom teachers, principals and other appropriate staff which includes a continuously updated database of available trainers, staff development resource materials, training facilities and research on effective teaching and learning practices.
10. Explore professional development opportunities in both parties’ best interests.
The District and KSU will be mutually responsible for the following:
Neither party will discriminate against any District or KSU employee or applicant for employment, or against any application for enrollment for a course of study at KSU, or against any KSU student in his or her course of study or training under this Agreement solely on the basis of race, color, sex, creed, national origin, age, handicap or any other discrimination recognized and prohibited by State or Federal Law; provided with reasonable accommodations such handicaps do nothing to preclude each person’s physical and mental ability to participate therein.
The term of this contract is for July 18, 2019 through July 18, 2020. This contract shall automatically renew for additional terms not to exceed three years unless either party notifies the other at least 60 days prior to renewal date.
This contract may be terminated by either party upon thirty (30) days written notice to the other party with or without cause. All notice of this contract shall be given to the Superintendent of Cherokee County Schools at P.O. Box 769, Canton, Georgia 30169, and to the President of Kennesaw State University, 1000 Chastain Road, Kennesaw, Georgia 30144-5591.