THE CHEROKEE COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
THE OPTIMIST CLUBS OF CANTON AND TOWNE LAKE
This agreement entered into on this 13th day of February, 2020, by and between The Cherokee County Board of Education, hereinafter referred to as the “School Board” and The Optimist Clubs of Canton and Towne Lake hereinafter referred to as “Optimists.”
WHEREAS, the School Board’s mission is to educate the emerging generation through learning environments designed to increase the performance of all students; and,
WHEREAS, one of the School Board’s Priority Areas is Family, Partner and Community Engagement; and,
WHEREAS, Optimist International is more than 2,600 Optimist Clubs dedicated to the mission: “By providing hope and positive vision, Optimists bring out the best in kids;” and,
WHEREAS, Optimist Clubs conduct positive service projects in their communities aimed at providing a helping hand to youth and empowering them to be the best that they can be; and,
WHEREAS, each Optimist Club determines the needs of the young people in its community and conducts programs to meet those needs. Every year, Optimists conduct 65,000 service projects and serve well over six million young people
Now therefore in consideration of the covenants and conditions set forth herein the parties agree as follows:
The parties agree that the foregoing recitals are true and correct and incorporated herein by reference.
The School Board will:
1. Promote Optimists’ programs through existing communication channels, as permitted by School Board Policy, including the online Virtual Community Bulletin Board accessible by the community.
2. Provide the use of School District facilities, waiving the rental fee as per the Community Use of System Facilities Policy (KG), for Optimists’ Oratorical Contest events. The Optimists will be responsible for any applicable utility, supervisory and/or custodial fees associated with facility use.
3. Pursue joint grant opportunities in both parties’ best interests.
1. Conduct an annual oratorical competition for School District students.
2. Conduct an annual essay contest for School District students.
3. Sponsor youth appreciation events for School District students.
4. Sponsor extra-curricular athletic events for School District students.
5. Provide volunteer judges when available for School District events (Science Olympiad, Social Science Fair, Young Authors Fairs, Senior Projects, etc.).
6. Provide guest speakers and resources to assist School District schools in promoting personal and Internet safety and respect for the law.
7. Honor the School District’s Teacher of the Year.
8. Pursue joint grant opportunities in both parties’ best interests.
9. Abide by the rules and regulations contained in the Community Use of System Facilities Policy (KG).
10. Accept all children/interested participants for participation within its programs without regard to their gender, race, political affiliation, age, national origin or handicapping condition or any other discrimination recognized and prohibited by State or Federal Law. Children/participants with handicaps must be provided all necessary levels of supervision and must be included within the activities of the partnering organization. As a result of this partnership agreement, Optimists must adhere to all local, State or Federal laws in connection to the covenants and conditions in this agreement.
The term of this contract is February 13, 2020 through February 13, 2021. This contract shall automatically renew for additional terms not to exceed five years unless either party notifies the other at least 60 days prior to renewal date.
This contract may be terminated by either party upon thirty (30) days written notice to the other party with or without cause. All notice of this contract shall be given to the Superintendent of Cherokee County Schools at P.O. Box 769, Canton, GA 3016914 and to Optimist Clubs of Canton and Towne Lake at P.O. Box 4204, Canton, Ga. 30114 and 1025 Rose Creek Drive, Suite 620 PMB 133, Woodstock, GA 30189 or such other address if notice is given by either party of a new address pursuant to this notice section.