THE CHEROKEE COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
This agreement entered into on this 20th day of June 2019 by and between the Cherokee County Board of Education, hereinafter referred to as the “School Board” and Walden University.
WHEREAS, the School Board’s mission is to educate the emerging generation through learning environments designed to increase the performance of all students; and,
WHEREAS, one of the School Board’s Major System Priorities is to increase parental and community involvement through public engagement policies and practices that treat parents, businesses, community-based organizations and agencies, local institutions of higher learning and other public entities as true partners in the educational process; and,
WHEREAS, Walden University will provide high-caliber programs that prepare learners as scholar-practitioners and leaders who can inspire, influence, and impact their diverse communities; and,
WHEREAS, Walden University is committed to enriching professional development opportunities and field experiences with access to innovative technology, enabling Walden’s students to choose when, where, and how they learn; and,
WHEREAS, Walden University will enrich professional development opportunities and field experiences with access to innovative technology enabling Walden’s students to choose when, where, and how they learn; and,
WHEREAS, Walden University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and a Certified B Corporation using business as a force for good.
Now therefore in consideration of the covenants and conditions set forth herein the parties agree as follows:
The parties agree that the foregoing recitals are true and correct and incorporated herein by reference:
The School Board will:
1. Disseminate information provided by Walden University to CCSD’s Office of Communications about its 10% tuition reduction benefit for CCSD employees and other opportunities through existing CCSD communication channels to include posting on the employee learning management system, as permitted by School Board policy.
2. Communicate, via CCSD’s Office of Communications, opportunities for Walden University to support and/or sponsor CCSD professional development, and appreciation programs offered to its employees throughout the year.
3. Pursue joint professional development opportunities in both parties’ best interests.
Walden University will:
1. Provide a 10% tuition reduction benefit (as specified below) to all CCSD employees for Walden University degrees, programs and courses, excluding the Emergency Nurse practitioner and Family Nurse Practitioner specializations in the Master of Science in Nursing. Any change to this benefit will be provided in writing to the School Board by December 1 prior to the new benefit taking effect on January 1 of the following year; such a change would not affect the benefit for candidates currently enrolled at Walden and using the existing benefit.
2. Provide CCSD’s Office of Communications with prepared information about the 10% tuition reduction benefit for CCSD employees and other opportunities to be disseminated by CCSD through its existing communication channels to include posting on the employee learning management system, as permitted by School Board policy.
3. Provide students access to master teachers, researchers, and nationally recognized education experts, and practical research-based strategies for improving student outcomes.
4. Provide an orientation session for CCSD employees to be organized in conjunction with CCSD’s Offices of Human Resources and Curriculum & Instruction outlining features, benefits and overall information regarding Walden degrees, certificates and courses, and the inquiry process for candidates
5. Notify CCSD’s Office of Communications of additional programmatic offers available to employees.
6. Provide CCSD’s Office of Human Resources the ability to post job openings to Walden’s Career Services for recruitment purposes.
7. Consider requests by CCSD for support and/or sponsorship, when possible upon learning of such opportunities from CCSD’s Office of Communications, for CCSD professional development, recruitment and appreciation programs offered to its employees throughout the year.
8. Pursue joint professional development opportunities in both parties’ best interests.
9. Accept all interested participants for participation within its programs
without regard to their gender, race, political affiliation, age, national origin or
handicapping condition or any other discrimination recognized and prohibited by State or Federal Law. Participants with handicaps must be provided
all necessary levels of supervision and must be included within the activities of
the partnering organization. As a result of this agreement, Walden University must adhere to all local, State or Federal laws regarding education.
The term of this contract is June 20, 2019 through June 20, 2020. This contract shall automatically renew for additional terms not to exceed five years unless either party notifies the other at least 60 days prior to renewal date.
This contract may be terminated by either party upon thirty (30) days written notice to the other party with or without cause. All notice of this contract shall be given to the Superintendent of Cherokee County Schools at P.O. Box 769, Canton, Georgia 30169, and to the President of Walden University, 7065 Samuel Morse Dr., Columbia, Md., 21046 with a copy to Walden University, Attention: Divisional Counsel, 650 South Exeter Street, Baltimore, MD 21202.
Candidates must inquire through the marketing and information channels provided by Walden University in order to obtain the tuition reduction benefit. Failure to facilitate communication through these channels may result in candidates not being eligible for the tuition reduction benefit.
This agreement is not a guarantee that all employees of CCSD will be granted acceptance or admission into Walden University. All prospective students will be subject to the same standard admissions and registration processes as other prospective students applying to Walden University. No student-specific information will be shared between Walden University and CCSD unless the student grants permission in writing.
The tuition reduction benefit offered to CCSD’s employees is a 10% tuition reduction. The tuition reduction benefit is applicable to tuition only and does not apply towards books, materials and other supplies or fees needed for a course. This reduction will remain in effect for the duration of the student’s continuous enrollment at Walden University. All CCSD employees that are current Walden University students are eligible for the tuition reduction benefit from the date of execution of this agreement, provided, however, no tuition reduction will be made retroactively.