THE CHEROKEE COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
THE UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA COOPERATIVE
EXTENSION SERVICE/4-H ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION
This agreement entered into on this 17th day of August, 2023, by and between the Cherokee County Board of Education, hereinafter referred to as the “School Board” and The University of Georgia Cooperative Extension Service, hereinafter referred to as “UGA Cooperative Extension.”
WHEREAS, the School Board’s mission is to educate the emerging generation through learning environments designed to increase the performance of all students; and,
WHEREAS, one of the School District’s Priority Areas is Family, Partner and Community Engagement; and,
WHEREAS, the purpose of the University of Georgia 4-H Environmental Education program is to utilize the “out of doors” as a dynamic living laboratory for academic study; and,
WHEREAS, the primary core of the program is the residential experience where school groups, typically fourth through twelfth grades, come to the center to extend the walls of their classroom by studying a variety of interdisciplinary subjects including, math, science, language arts, history, physical education and social studies in the outdoor classroom; and,
WHEREAS, curricula designed for the program are research based and keyed to the Georgia State Department of Education Quality Core Curriculum (QCC); and,
WHEREAS, testing of program participants reveals higher student achievement and a student more responsive to learning. Findings show that students retain 40% of material presented during field study experiences.
Now therefore in consideration of the covenants and conditions set forth herein the parties agree as follows:
The parties agree that the foregoing recitals are true and correct and incorporated herein by reference:
The School Board will:
1. Identify and communicate, as permitted by School Board policy, resources available through the UGA Cooperative Extension Service and recognize residential environmental education experiences.
2. Encourage and support participation in the program offerings.
3. Provide a school sponsor at each facility to assist with communication and program materials distribution.
4. Provide the opportunity to present program information to teachers and administrators at selected meetings annually.
UGA Cooperative Extension Service will:
1. Provide residential environmental education experiences for a variety of school groups and outreach programs for younger audiences and during winter months.
2. Provide a program overview for teachers and administrators for appropriate grade levels as requested.
3. Provide field observation opportunities for teachers and administrators on professional development days.
4. Pursue grant opportunities, in conjunction with the School Board’s Office of Advanced Academic Programs/Grants Management, that would serve to enrich both parties’ programs.
5. Accept all children/interested participants for participation within its programs without regard to their gender, race, political affiliation, age, national origin or handicapping condition or any other discrimination recognized and prohibited by State or Federal Law. Children/participants with handicaps must be provided all necessary levels of supervision and must be included within the activities of the partnering organization. As a result of this partnership agreement, UGA Cooperative Extension Service must adhere to all local, State or Federal laws regarding education.
The term of this contract is August 17, 2023 through August 17, 2024. This contract shall automatically renew for additional terms not to exceed five years unless either party notifies the other at least 60 days prior to renewal date.
This contract may be terminated by either party upon thirty (30) days written notice to the other party with or without cause. All notice of this contract shall be given to the Superintendent of Cherokee County Schools at PO Box 769, Canton, Georgia 30169 and to the Educational Program Specialist, University of Georgia College and Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Cooperative Extension Service, 350 Rock Eagle Road, Eatonton, GA 31024.