THE CHEROKEE COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
This agreement entered into on this 15th day of April, 2021 by and between the Cherokee County Board of Education, hereinafter referred to as the “School Board” and Cherokee Thanksgiving.
WHEREAS, the School District’s mission is to educate the emerging generation through learning environments designed to increase the performance of all students; and,
WHEREAS, one of the School District’s Priority Areas is Family, Partner and Community Engagement; and,
WHEREAS, Cherokee Thanksgiving is a local nonprofit organization founded 28 years ago to ensure everyone in the Cherokee County community could enjoy the holiday dinner no matter their circumstances. The program has grown, since its initial Thanksgiving dinner for 75 people, to serve more than 2,600 people annually through both a community sit-down dinner and the delivery of thousands of meals directly to recipients at their homes or workplaces; and,
WHEREAS, many families who benefit from Cherokee Thanksgiving’s generosity are families of School District students, and the organization provides numerous opportunities for students and staff to volunteer to engage with and support their community.
Now therefore in consideration of the covenants and conditions set forth herein the parties agree as follows:
The parties agree that the foregoing recitals are true and correct and incorporated herein by reference.
The School Board will:
1. Promote Cherokee Thanksgiving, both for students and their families to sign up to receive meals and opportunities for volunteers and/or financial donations to support the effort, through existing communication channels, as permitted by School Board policy.
2. Provide the opportunity for Cherokee Thanksgiving representatives to speak about its organization and services with CCSD’s school counselors and social workers at a fall meeting.
Cherokee Thanksgiving will:
1. Share information with CCSD, both for students and their families to sign up to receive meals and opportunities for volunteers and/or financial donations to support the effort, for inclusion on the CCSD website online bulletin board and other existing communication channels, as permitted by School Board policy.
2. Provide representatives to speak about the organization and its services with CCSD’s school counselors and social workers at a fall meeting.
3. Accept all children/interested participants for participation within its programs without regard to their gender, race, political affiliation, age, national origin or handicapping condition or any other discrimination recognized and prohibited by State or Federal Law. Children/participants with handicaps must be provided all necessary levels of supervision and must be included within the activities of the partnering organization. As a result of this partnership agreement, Cherokee Thanksgiving must adhere to all applicable local, State and Federal laws.
The term of this contract is April 15, 2021 through April 15, 2022. This contract shall automatically renew for additional terms not to exceed five years unless either party notifies the other at least 60 days prior to renewal date.
This contract may be terminated by either party upon thirty (30) days written notice to the other party with or without cause. All notice of this contract shall be given to the Superintendent of Cherokee County Schools at PO Box 769, Canton, GA 30169, and to Cherokee Thanksgiving at 913 Lacy Road, Canton, Ga. 30115.